SPLAV: New Possibilities of MRLSs
JSC “SPLAV SPA” is the leading Russian enterprise in
development and organization of production of the Multiple Launcher Rocket
Systems (MRLS) for the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
Over its history from the time of its foundation in 1945, such outstanding
systems as GRAD, URAGAN, SMERCH for the Army, GRAD-M, UDAV-1M, OGON’, DAMBA,
RPK-8 for the Navy have been developed at JSC “SPLAV SPA”, dozens of unique
techniques for the rocket projectiles, the artillery shell cases of calibers
from 24 to 152 mm made of various materials have been elaborated. Nowadays our
engineering developments and production techniques in the field of the rocket
artillery and shell cases production are known worldwide.
The distinctive feature of the Russian MRLSs development is striving of their
designers to constantly enhance the rocket artillery combat capabilities through
development of the new types of the rocket projectiles fitted with
different-purpose warheads, as well as upgrade of the launch vehicles for the
Specialists of the enterprise have developed modernization programs for the GRAD
and SMERCH systems which ensured execution of the fire missions on destruction
of the enemy over a distance of, correspondingly, 40 and 120 km, enhancement of
capabilities of fire engagement against the typical targets, computerization of
the fire preparation and delivery, upgrade of the launch vehicles.
JSC “SPLAV SPA”, being the world leader in delivery of ammunition for the
Russian-produced MRLSs, conducts active operations in the field of military and
technical cooperation through Rosoboronexport, the Russian State Intermediary.
Nowadays JSC “SPLAV SPA” offers at the international defense market upgraded
GRAD and SMERCH MRLSs, including different-purpose warheads rocket projectiles
with the range of fire of, correspondingly, 40 and 120 km, as well as the new
generation of the 80mm unguided aircraft rocket armament, C-80FP
HE-Fragmentation penetrating warhead unguided aircraft rocket projectile and a
small-type high energy solid rocket propellant motor.
Presently the following systems are being offered for export:
1. 122mm Rocket Projectiles (RPs):
- 9Ì521 RP with increased power warhead;
- 9Ì522 HE-fragmentation separable warhead RP;
- 9Ì218 shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions RP.
2. 2B17-1Launch Vehicle (LV) is equipped with automated laying fire and control
Besides, the algorithm has been elaborated in order to upgrade GRAD and GRAD-1
MRLSs standard RPs by increasing the range of fire up to 40 km.
1. 300mm RPs:
- 9Ì525 fragmentations submunitions warhead RP;
- 9Ì528 HE-fragmentation separable warhead RP;
- 9Ì529 fuel-air explosive warhead RP;
- 9Ì531 shaped-charge fragmentation submunitions warhead RP;
- 9Ì533 sensor-fuzed fragmentation submunitions warhead RP.
2. 9À52-2 LV (on ÌÀZ chassis), 9À52-2Ò LV (on Òatra chassis) 9À52-4 LV (lightweight six-round launcher mounted on elongated KAMAZ chassis) equipped with ALFCS.
3. 9Ò234-2, 9Ò234-2Ò, 9Ò234-4 Transporter-Loaders.
4. 9F819 Arsenal Equipment.
5. 9F827 Training Aids.
6. 9F840 Training Set.
7. MP32Ì1Unified Command and Staff Vehicle.
8. 1B44 Radio Direction-Finding and Meteorological Complex.
Upgrade of GRAD and SMERCH LVs ensured the new capabilities of these systems:
- Fire delivery from the unsurveyed in the topographical respect firing position
thanks to the autonomous calculation of the LV ramp longitudinal axis azimuth
and plotting of the own coordinates;
- Cutting time from the moment of taking up of the temporary firing position to
the moment of commencing fire by a factor of three;
- The LV ramp laying operable from the cab and without usage of the aiming
- Visual presentation on the computer screen of a graphical information for the
LV ramp laying, the ground map with indication of the LV position, destination
point, and route of advance;
- Increase in the LV survivability thanks to cutting time in the firing
- Increase of the operator-layer comfortability, especially in the adverse
weather conditions and at night;
- Increase of the LV self-sustainment thanks to imparting to it of the
navigation and topographical survey functions, which ensures shoot-and-scoot
tactics, autonomous movement to the assembly point after firing, compensation of
errors due to the human factor;
- reduction in the crew number up to 2 persons (GRAD MRLS), and up to 3 persons
Beginning from 2003, the enterprise has been granted the right to independently
carry out foreign trade activities with respect to the products for military
purposes to the extent concerning delivery of spare parts, aggregates,
assemblies, devices, completing units, special, training, and auxiliary
equipment, technical documentation for the earlier delivered products for
military purposes, carrying out of works on technical inspection, repair
(including modernization subject to carrying out of R&D works), and other works
ensuring complex service maintenance of the earlier delivered products for
military purposes, as well as training of the foreign specialists in carrying
out of the above works.